Storm Damage Clean-Up Tips
When your home is damaged by hail, winds or flooding, it’s natural to focus on what is lost. But homeowners’ quick actions in the aftermath of a storm can prevent further property damage.
Paul Davis, a national restoration specialist organization, shares these tips on what to do until the professionals arrive:
- Use plastic bags on the legs of wooden furniture to prevent water wicking
- Use non-porous items or wood blocks to get furniture off the wet floor.
- If safe, unplug and remove any electronics from wet areas to save them from damage.
- Mop up standing water.
- Use fans and a dehumidifier to help aid in the drying process.
- Remove any loose items such as toys, books, clothing, rugs or cardboard boxes from the wet floors.
- Use buckets to catch any leaking water from the ceiling.
- Cover furniture with tarps if water is coming from above.
- Do not use a household vacuum to remove water.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet and keep out of any rooms with a wet, sagging ceiling.
- Document storm damage for your insurance company.
Have any questions? Always feel free to contact your agent online or give us a call at 402-759-3300.
Walter Insurance and Real Estate works to provide more than just top-quality home insurance products. Creating a customer experience than spans more than just your coverage is an integral part of our service and providing our customers the ongoing education and added information is something we take great pride in. With locations in Geneva and Shickley, Nebraska, we serve clients throughout the Lincoln, NE area including North Platte, Fillmore County, Thayer County, Lincoln County, and beyond.